Digital Building Week took place on: 19 – 22 October
A festival focused on the future of Digital Construction
For over 20 years, Building has been the place to come to discover, challenge and discuss digital transformation. This year the construction industry came together from the 19 – 22 October to focus on the ever-evolving world of digital construction.
In partnership with last year’s digital champions the week focused on webinars, specific digital content, knowledge-sharing and inspiration from the most progressive organisations within the digital space.
Informative webinars took place on key digital topics across 4 days, featuring the biggest names in digital
Thought-provoking insights from last year’s digital champions
Solution-led discussions showcasing the newest software
Access to 20 years of digital-related features on Building
Watch on demand
First broadcast Monday 19 October, 9:00 - Interview with Simone de Gale, CEO, Simone de Gale Architects
First broadcast Monday 19 October, 11:00 - The future of Construction, Key Trends and Technologies
Sponsored by Autodesk Construction Cloud
Join us as we explore how technology and data are driving the future of construction. Despite the size of the sector, Construction continues to be one of the least digitised industries across the globe. We are seeing change however, and the industry is shifting towards digital construction practices. We are now looking forward to new opportunities for change and growth in the construction arena with BIM; Digital Collaboration & Mobility; IoT & Advanced Analytics; Future-proof Design & Construction.
First broadcast Monday 19 October, 13:00 - Innovation
Sponsored by Hilti
Construction is facing a difficult year with restrictions affecting site productivity, however as an industry we are constantly seeing innovation products, tools and applications being developed which are changing the ways in which we work. Join us at 1pm on Monday 19 October as we hear individual case studies from industry leaders as they share some of the most exciting and new technologies being used and applied across projects worldwide.
- Razvan Gorcea, International BIM Project Manager, Hilti BIM Competence Centre
- Jaimie Johnston, Director, Bryden Wood
- James Pickard, Founding Director, Cartwright Pickard
- Ben Robinson, Computational Designer, Hawkins\Brown
- Philip Watson, Director, Head of Design, HLM
- Chaired by: Thomas Lane, Group Technical Editor, Building
First broadcast Tuesday 20 October, 11:00 - Government Soft Landings
Sponsored by Construction Innovation Hub
David Philp, Digital Impact Director for the Construction Innovation Hub, will highlight the benefits the Government Soft Landings (GSL) approach brings to improving performance and outcomes of our public services to ensure they improve whole life value to users, owners and society at large. Paul Dodd of Scottish Futures Trust will talk about the Scottish Government’s BIM/Soft Landings activities at a national level and how this aligns with the focus on the whole life performance process. Stephen Batcheler from the Department for Education will present on how GSL can lead to better planning, construction, management and operation of schools and share more information about the dedicated GSL navigator tool that has been developed as a training aid for DfE project managers.
- David Philp, Impact Director of Digital, Construction Innovation Hub
- Paul Dodd, Senior Associate Director, Scottish Futures Trust
- Stephen Batcheler, Project Director, Department for Education
- Chaired by: Thomas Lane, Group Technical Editor, Building
First broadcast Tuesday 20 October, 13:00 - 5 Key Views on Collaboration
Sponsored by Autodesk & Fenwick Elliott
More so than ever, construction firms are under increasing pressure to deliver highly complex projects, within tighter budgets and timeframes. Digital processes are now having a significant impact, making it easier for the different parties to work effectively together to the same end goal. This webinar will hear from 5 leading industry experts across the supply chain about how we can improve collaboration through all steps of the projects with the introduction of new technology and digitising processes.
- Dan Hoogeveen, Digital Design Manager, Purcell
- Gareth Parkes, Head of Data & Analytics, Sir Robert McAlpine
- Stuart Tanfield, Technical Specialist, Autodesk
- Dr Stacy Sinclair, Partner and Head of Technology & Innovation, Fenwick Elliott
- Dale Sinclair, Director of Innovation, Aecom
- Chaired by: Jordan Marshall, Chief Reporter, Building
First broadcast in June - Hear from the experts
First broadcast in June, watch again as digital experts discuss how construction is using technology to navigate the recovery phase in a post covid-19 world.
Our panel of leading Digital figures will each deliver a short presentation before coming together for a chaired discussion and up to 30 minutes of Q&A from our delegates.
- Andrew Gamblen, Digital Manager, Willmott Dixon
- Dr Stacy Sinclair, Head of Technology and Innovation, Fenwick Elliott
- Sam Stacey, ISCF Challenge Director for Construction, UK Research & Innovation
- Neil Thompson, Director for Digital Construction, Atkins
First broadcast Wednesday 21 October,13:00 - Building Smarter and Greener
Sponsored by Drees & Sommer
As we learn to live with COVID and buildings around the world begin to reopen, how can smart buildings and technology support businesses and employees to return to work? What are the considerations and challenges? What are some of the key advantages of smart buildings in achieving a greener outcome?
Discussion points to include:
- How has energy consumption been optimised?
- How is data used more efficiently by smart buildings
- What is the operational cost of a building
- How to increase work efficiency
First broadcast Thursday 22 October, 9:00 - Interview with Anne Kemp, Fellow and Technical Director, ATKINS and Chair of UK BIM Alliance
First broadcast Thursday 22 October, 13:00 - Delivering Transformation
Sponsored by Autodesk
The construction industry has long recognised the potential for digital technology to improve productivity, enhance construction techniques and increase collaboration between the supply chain. In this webinar, you will hear from leading industry experts as to how we must rely on digital transformation to drive the recovery; how was technology used in the recent months and what do they believe is next in this crucial stage for construction?
- Mark Boyle, Group Design Director, Robert Bird Group
- Daniel Wood, Technical Specialist, Autodesk
- Simon Rawlinson, Partner – Head of Strategic Research and Insight, Arcadis
- Jack Stewart, Digital Design Lead, Hawkins\Brown
- Fabio Roberti, Head of BIM, WilkinsonEyre
- Chaired by: Chloe McCulloch, Group Editorial Director, Building
Daily video webinars
Building’s Digital Champions 2020
Exclusive Research and Insight
Future Thinking and Transformation
And much more On Demand